ArmyIgnitED and UIW Processes

Application and Education Paths

ArmyIgnitED is the new site designed for Army students, including active-duty Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard soldiers to complete tuition assistance request (TAR).

Active-duty Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard soldiers apply to the school according to the degree program choice.

School of Professional Studies (online and night/weekend courses): The School of Professional Studies provides the most benefits to the active duty servicemember. All of your work is done online when your class is held in the online format (95% of SPS courses). Night and weekend courses are offered in selected locations. Benefits include:

  • Tuition Assistance at cap ($250.00/hr)
  • FREE textbooks. SPS will supply your textbooks at no charge to you whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student. For details, visit the free textbooks page
  • No academic fees
  • Accelerated 8-week courses with six terms a year
  • Accelerated 4-week Winter courses for completion of prerequisites.
  • No proctored exams for online coursework

Broadway Campus (on ground and blended courses): The Broadway campus is located at 4301 Broadway and classes are held in different buildings. Active duty soldiers processing TAR will enjoy a discounted tuition and removal of tuition related fees. Other fees apply. Textbooks are not provided.

After you apply, the admissions department for the chosen program will contact you and request a copy of your transcripts to initiate the admission process.

To follow up, you may contact:

School of Professional Studies:

Telephone and Email

(210) 757-0202 or (800) 318-1876

Virtual Appointment

Once you have selected a date and time, an admissions counselor will review your request and send you a confirmation email.

Schedule an appointment

Broadway Campus:

Contact the Office of Admissions
(210) 829-6005
(800) 749-WORD

Submit Documents

Connect with us using #UIWpride
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

School of Professional Studies (Online and night classes):

Broadway Campus:

Yes. UIW does require students to submit official transcripts from every college attended. Even if a soldier does not list a school, it is listed on the National Student Clearinghouse database.

Yes. Official transcripts from previous colleges may be sent electronically to

The University of the Incarnate Word may request the JST on your behalf.

Soldiers must choose "yes" on the application question authorizing UIW to request the JST.

UIW may not request your JST without your permission.

If you are a current student, you do not need to submit a new application.

A readmission form may be required if you have been absent from attending classes.

Please visit Readmission to UIW for more information about absence and readmission.

An Education Path (formerly known in GoArmyEd as the home institution and degree plan) includes information on your academic profile:

  • Education Institution
  • Area of Study
  • Degree Level

Students submit an Education Path from ArmyIgnitED to the school for review. Upon review and confirmation of the information above, the school approves the Education Path.

The Education Path queue in ArmyIgnitED is reviewed daily by our admissions team for review and approval.

If any further action is needed on your part, a member of our admissions team will contact you either via email or phone.

No. The ArmyIgnitED and UIW system do not interact. The Education Path is not an application and therefore will not replace the UIW application.

If you submit an Education Path before submitting an application to UIW, you will be contacted by the appropriate UIW admissions department for guidance in filling out a UIW application.

The Education Path will be on hold until the admission is completed with UIW.

You only need to submit a new Education Path in case the new major is not under the same area of study ( CIP code). However, as all SPS degrees are business oriented, exceptions may be noticed.

For example:

Business Administration and Management, General to Health/Health Care Administration/Management

Yes. Soldiers will only be able to complete TAR (tuition assistance request) if an Education Path has been created by the servicemember and approved by the school.

Soldiers may attend UIW as a transient student.

Transient students are degree-seeking students whose home institution is different than UIW and who may, upon authorization of the home institution, enroll in approved courses at UIW.

A UIW application is still required and an Education Path must exist in ArmyIgnitED for the current home institution.

Transient students may apply to the School of Professional Studies (Online and weekend/night classes) and choose "Non Degree Seeking." Make sure to list the current home institution information.

To apply to the Broadway campus (On ground classes) please visit Go UIW and choose "transfer students." A choice for transient students will be available.

Yes. Any active duty Army who plans to use tuition assistance must build an Education Path in ArmyIgnitED regardless. If UIW is not your home institution, you will need to assign your home institution, the degree level and the area of study that you are pursing at your home institution.

Army active duty pays $250.00/hour at UIW which is the TA cap whether you are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate level degree.

Most courses are 3 credits semester hours.

E.g. - Soldiers pursuing a Master of Business Administration with the School of Professional Studies (Online and night/weekend courses), which requires 30 semester hours or 10 courses, it will cost you $0 (zero dollars). Army Tuition Assistance will pay $7,500.00 for the completion of the degree and no cost to you.

Student Degree Plan (SDP)

A Student Degree Plan (SDP) is equivalent to the former electronic student agreement or course planner that was available in GoArmyED. However, paper format upload (course planners) is no longer available.

Upon the successful completion of 6 semester hours (SH), UIW will submit a student degree plan (SDP) to ArmyIgnitED. A new SDP will only be submitted if a student changes area of study. SDPs are mainly needed to confirm the course is listed as required on the degree and automatically allow tuition assistance if eligibility is met.

If you have been admitted at the school and have completed 6SH, please contact your academic advisor for assistance or email

To make a change of major, please consult your academic advisor for assistance.

UIW will then submit a new SDP if courses on the new major are different than the current major.

An updated SPD will be submitted every time a major change occurs and different courses are required for the completion of the degree.

Registrations and Tuition Assistance Request (TAR)

If you received your welcome email, you are now ready to register for classes and start your education journey at UIW!

School of Professional Studies: To register for online and night/weekend classes visit the SPS Course Registration page.

Broadway campus: To register for on ground/in classroom classes visit the Registration page.

ArmyIgnitED does not make a schedule of classes available in the site as you used to see in GoArmyEd.

Soldiers are required to register with the institution. The institution will then upload the enrollment(s) to ArmyIgnitED at the end of the business day, or on the next business day, depending on the time enrollment was completed.

Once you see the enrollment in ArmyIgnitED, you will need to start the tuition assistance request (TAR) process.

You should always register with the school first and then process a tuition assistance request (TAR) afterwards. A class may be full, require a pre-requisite not met, or be under other circumstances that will not be approved.

If you are registering for a class late, that is the only time we advise you to process a TAR first to make sure that you do not miss the window period of TAR.*

*TAR starts 60 days prior to start term date and ends 1 day prior to the start term date

Exception to Policy (ETP) is the term used to process tuition assistance request (TAR) outside the normal tuition assistance request's deadline. ETP allows for soldiers and counselors to process TAR even after the term start date.

ETP and "Blanket" ETP are used interchangeably and are the same thing. However, ETP lists and ETP tool are not the same thing.

ETP lists were discontinued on September 17 by HQ ACCESS. ETP lists were Excel files that contained all Army enrollments and were emailed to HQ ACCESS daily in addition to uploading the same enrollments every business day (completed by soldiers at the school) directly to the new ArmyIgnitED site.

ETP tool is a feature in ArmyIgnitED that generates TAR completed by soldiers or Army counselors, and place the TAR in the school's invoice queue, so the school may review the generated TAR and submit to Army for review and payment. The school can only submit invoices once a month. If a TAR was not present at the time invoice was submitted by the school, the TAR should show on the next invoice period.

Due to the many issues encountered in the new site, Deloitte (the organization responsible for ArmyIgnitED) has scheduled several "draws" and "phases" to ensure that all past start term dates automatically generate TAR and bypass the soldiers’ TAR. As of today, the ETP tool continues to generate TAR for all terms to include Spring I 2021 to Spring II 2022.

Please note the wording from Army support below:

“The Exception to Policy (ETP) tool is designed to look at all course enrollment data that DOES NOT have a Tuition Assistance Request (TAR) already generated. For the ETP tool runs Draw #3 and Draw #4, the system will ignore holds on the Soldiers’ accounts.

  • Draw #3 completed on November 18 (TARs with class start dates of 9 April forward)
  • Phase 2 will be December (legacy GoArmyEd data) - Spring I and Spring II, 2021
  • Draw #4 January
  • Other draws will be scheduled as needed

Tuition Assistance Request (TAR) window opens 60 days prior to the term start date.

Tuition Assistance Request (TAR) window closes the day before of the term start date.

For example:

Spring I 2022 classes begin on January 08, 2022.

TAR opens on November 08, 2022

TAR closes on January 07, 2022

ArmyIgnitED continues to process TAR under the Blanket ETP.

  • The school does not have the ability to modify tuition assistance deadlines. Soldiers must refer to the Education Center at their base for assistance or create a Service Now (SNOW) case if the deadline has been missed.
  • Make sure the enrollment has been uploaded to ArmyIgnitED so the ETP tool may pick up the record in the next draw scheduled by Deloitte.
  • If you are unaware of your servicing education center, visit the IMCOM Army Continuing Education System and use the Find My Installation option located in the menu on the left of the page.

ArmyIgnitED remains processing TARs under the blanket ETP until further notice.

Confirm that your enrollment has been uploaded by the school to ArmyIgnitED so the ETP tool may process a TAR on the next draw.

You may email for assistance.

Classes will only show in ArmyIgnitED so soldiers may complete TAR if the following have been met:

  1. The soldier has completed registration(s) with UIW.
  2. The enrollment was completed with UIW during business hours.
    • Enrollment(s) completed after 4 p.m. CST will be uploaded to ArmyIgnitED on the following business day.
  3. The enrollment was completed with UIW during business days.
    • Enrollment(s) are uploaded on the first business day following weekends, holiday or during school's closure not included on the academic calendar.
  4. The soldier is showing the correct active duty Army status in the UIW system.
  5. The TAR window period is open (60 days prior the start term date and day before the start term date).
  6. There are no flags, holds or other unknown circumstances in ArmyIgnitED.


  • All files uploaded by the school are processed overnight by ArmyIgnitED. This is beyond our control. Please allow enough time to process TAR and meet deadlines
  • All soldiers' enrollment showing an active duty Army status are automatically included in the ArmyIgnitED enrollment's file. If you do not wish to be included on the list, please contact for assistance.
  • If technical issues are preventing you in seeing the class in ArmyIgnitED, please contact the Education Center or create a SNOW case in ArmyIgnitEd.

Since the launch of ArmyIgnitED, different terminology has been used to address ArmyIgnitED processes and has confused many soldiers.

No institution has the ability to process TAR on a soldier's behalf. That would be a violation of the DoD MOU. Only the soldier or an education counselor may proceed with the TAR.

If your Education Counselor has mentioned that the school must process TAR on your behalf, he/she are referring to the following situation:

Once the TAR is completed either by the soldier or the counselor, the generated record populates the school's invoice queue. At that point, the school is able to view the TAR, and submit for invoicing in the next invoicing period (every 1st of the month). This process entails that the school is requesting tuition assistance funds to cover for the tuition cost of the class.

If you do not want to process TAR to cover the tuition cost, you may attempt other financial aid options:

  1. Veterans benefits
  2. Financial Aid
  3. Self-pay (eligible military discount still applies for active duty)
  4. Payment plans

Make sure to always mention that you are an active duty soldiers choosing to use a different type of funds than TAR.

If you have used a different type of payment, and UIW receives TA funds, we will reimburse the funds accordingly.

For students who processed veterans benefits, any book stiped funds must be returned to the VA, and the VA will request the funds directly to the soldier.

The same would apply for housing allowance. VA and TA funds should not be processed for the same course unless is intended to cover tuition cost. For whatever reason, if an active duty soldier receives housing allowance, VA will request the funds to be returned by the soldier.

Per ArmyIgnitED, soldiers do have the self-funded option available in the site.

Once in ArmyIgnitED, select student-funded instead of TAR.

Soldiers are still required to complete enrollment with the school first.

No. Army students are not provided a TA voucher to be uploaded in the school's site. UIW will invoice TAR directly in ArmyIgnitED once the TAR has been generated.

Per Army support, all enrollments uploaded to ArmyIgnitED initially show coded as student cost. Once TAR is requested, and Army funds are approved, the cost should change to Army TA.

If TAR has been processed, and cost is still incorrect, please create a SNOW case or contact your Education Center for assistance as UIW is unable to make any changes in TAR funds.

A hold may be placed on your account if non TA funds have been received by Army yet. However, in consideration of the current issues, we continue to allow registrations dependent on the balance amount.

Please contact Ms. Samantha Ramos at should you need a review on your account balance.

If your military status changed from active duty Army to veterans, please email for immediate assistance.

Also, if you notice that you are showing an incorrect coding in the UIW system, please contact for immediate assistance.

Enrollments will no longer be uploaded to the ArmyIgnitED site once your status change from active duty Army to veterans.

Military discount rates and credits are applied to student's accounts after the 100% drop date dependent on the program. The soldier's account will be adjusted accordingly after the 100% drop date at approximately the second week of classes.

Please email Ms. Samantha Ramos at to review your business account if you notice any discrepancies.

Note that Army is still making payments for the terms between Spring I and Fall II 2021 (January and October 2021). Accounts may reflect a temporary credit posted by UIW to ensure that soldiers can continue their studies without further issue. However, accounts' credits are subject to change as payments are either confirmed or rejected by Army and no other type of funds have applied.

You can also contact the Business Office directly at or by calling (210) 829-6043.

If you remain active duty, however, you prefer to use VA funds to cover the tuition cost (GI Bill for example), please contact the Veterans office for assistance:

Military and Veteran Center
Student Engagement Center
Level 3, Room 3021

(210) 832-5651

Visit our Contact Us page for detailed info.

TA and VA funds can only be used for the same course to cover the tuition cost.

To inquire further on benefits of using TA and VA, please email

The same applies to TA and Financial Aid.

To inquire further on benefits of using TA and FA, please contact the Financial Aid's office.

No. You may not allocate left TA funds from previous terms to current terms. That is determined by the DoD and not UIW.

Regardless of the situation, always contact your instructor to inquire on the possibility of making arrangements and still completing the course successfully.

Also, make sure to contact your academic advisor to inquire on the resources available to you such as tutoring.

Remember that most courses do follow the 8-week format and weekly participation and deadlines apply.

Last day of 100% refund drops is dependent on the program.

School of Professional Studies: students may request a drop by p.m. CST, Friday of the first week of classes for a UIW 100% refund.

For example,

Classes began January 08, 2022. Deadline is January 14, 2022, 5 p.m. CST.

Broadway campus: consult the current academic calendar and deadlines page.

The decision to drop a course or withdraw can greatly impact a student’s success in meeting their educational goals. The last day to drop a class is dependent on the program the student is currently attending.

  • School of Professional Studies: visit the Course Drop page for instructions on how to drop or withdraw a course.
  • Broadway campus: contact the University Advising Center (located at the Student Engagement Center, Room 3120) at (210) 805-5814 for assistance.

Instructions from ArmyIgnitED

Soldiers must withdraw from a course at their Educational Institution (EI) before withdrawing from the course in ArmyIgnitED (UIW drop procedure can be found above).

Steps to Withdraw From a Course in ArmyIgnitED and file for a WM (military withdrawal)

  1. After completing your Education Institution (EI)'s withdrawal process log into ArmyIgnitED.
  2. Click Education Path.
  3. Click My Courses
  4. Select the withdrawn course you wish to take an action on and click the chevron to view additional details.
  5. Click Take Action on Withdrawal.
  6. Select Military* for the reason for withdrawing from the course.
    1. If you select Military, you must complete DA 7793, Request for TA Recoupment Waiver - Withdrawal for Military (WM) Reasons form.
  7. Upload files, as necessary.
  8. Click Submit.

Select MILITARY if you are withdrawing from the course due to UNANTICIPATED/UNEXPECTED reasons, such as emergency leave/reassignment, natural or man-made disaster, illness/hospitalization, or an unforeseen military mission.

Note: You can select a MILITARY WITHDRAWAL at any point while the Tuition Assistance Request is active. To request a MILITARY WITHDRAWAL, you are required to upload a completed DA 7793, Request for TA Recoupment Waiver -Withdrawal for Military (WM) Reasons form to support your reason which will then need to be approved by your Counselor.

If your Education Services Officer approves your Military Withdrawal Request, then you will not be recouped for the cost of your Tuition Assistance Request. If your Education Services Officer rejects your Military Withdrawal Request and HQ ACCESS has already paid for your tuition, then you will be recouped for the cost of your Tuition for the cost of your Tuition Assistance Request.

UIW NOTE: If a soldier is unable to process the withdrawal with the school before the end of the term, soldiers will receive a grade of F (failure). Once the soldier is able to do so, and the school receives an approved copy of the military withdrawal, we will work on the soldier's behalf with the registrar's office to request the change the grade of F (failure) to a grade of W (withdrawal).

Instructions from ArmyIgnitED

Soldiers must withdraw from a course at their Educational Institution (EI) before withdrawing from the course in ArmyIgnitED (UIW's drop procedure can be found above).

Steps to Withdraw From a Course in ArmyIgnitED and file for a WM (military withdrawal)

  1. After completing your Education Institution (EI)'s withdrawal process log into ArmyIgnitED.
  2. Click Education Path.
  3. Click My Courses
  4. Select the withdrawn course you wish to take an action on and click the chevron to view additional details.
  5. Click Take Action on Withdrawal.
  6. Select Personal for the reason for withdrawing from the course.
    1. You can select a PERSONAL WITHDRAWAL at any point while your Tuition Assistance Request is active. However, if you request a PERSONAL WITHDRAWAL after HQ ACCESS has paid for your tuition it will trigger recoupment (repayment of funds).
  7. Upload files, as necessary.
  8. Click Submit.

If a soldier is unable to process the withdrawal with the school before the end of the term, soldiers will receive a grade of F (failure). Soldiers may not request a change of grade from a grade of F to a grade of W (withdrawal) after the end date of the term if course is being withdrawal due to personal reasons.

Servicemembers (active duty) who request a withdrawal from a term between week 2 and week 5 are dropped at 30% refund. The Department of Defense (DoD) requires that UIW returns any unearned TA funds to the DoD based on how much of the course you completed and that you pay a portion of those returned funds. You may owe a portion of your tuition to UIW and a portion to Army.

Visit the Military Related Policies for detailed information.

No. You may sit out a term or a few when needed. You will be able to resume your studies whenever you are ready.

A readmission form may be required if you have been absent from attending classes.

Please visit Readmission to UIW for more information about absence and readmission.

General Questions and Further Assistance

All departments are trained and willing to assist you regardless of responsibilities.

As an immediate contact, your academic advisor does hold your degree plan and will serve as your first advocate while completing your educational goals.

Find Your Advisor in Cardinal Apps

  • Login to Cardinal Apps
  • Click the Cardinal Apps - Banner tab
  • Click on Banner 8 Student Services Student Information icon
  • Select the current term and click Submit
  • Your advisor's name can be found under Primary Advisor
  • You can find your advisor's contact information on the online directory

UIW uploads final grades to ArmyIgnitED once grades roll to the student's view. UIW has 10 business days to report grades upon completion of the term.

If a grade is missing and needs to be reported, please contact for assistance.

The graduation function is currently not functioning in ArmyIgnitED.

For now, UIW uploads a copy of your degree plan from degree works (found in Cardinal Apps) to ArmyIgnitED showing that all requirements have been met for graduation.

Soldiers may also request an official transcript to present to their Education Center to have the degree level updated.

Go to Registrar’s Transcript Request page for unofficial and official transcript requests.

UIW makes available many resources to students and especially to the active duty servicemember. We are here for you and because of you!

UIW Military and Veterans Services - The full-service center for UIW Military and Veterans students that assists with active-duty and VA educational benefits. for Service Members - Provides 24/7 on-demand one-to-one tutoring with educators who are able to help with more than 40 college subjects. Tutors provide help with all types of homework assignments and test preparation.

Please note: U.S. Marine Corps and Coast Guard are eligible to use services at no cost

Military Related Policies - Derived from governmental regulations that impact military personnel at UIW.

At any time, if you are unable to find the answer to your question, please email us at for assistance.

The information below has been provided by ArmyIgnitED

To report an issue or get help from ArmyIgnitED, soldier may either do it electronically or in person or get assistance electronically Service Now (SNOW) case at Ignited.

To get assistance in person

For AD Soldiers: Your servicing Army Education Center (AEC) is the primary source for customer service and assistance. The professionally trained Guidance Counselors can provide training on ArmyIgnitED, information on TA/CA policy, and escalate issues if they are unable to resolve. Please ensure that you are speaking to the correct personnel at the education center. You must speak with a member of the Army Continuing Education System (ACES) staff such Guidance Counselors, Education Services Specialists (ESS), or an Education Services Officer (ESO). Other workers in the Army Education Center may include Educational Institute (EI) representatives, Administrative support, Test Examiners (TEs), Army Learning Center (ALC) staff, Career Skills Program (CSP) staff, Transition Education Counselors, and Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP) instructors. These personnel provide excellent service in their area of expertise, but they are not the appropriate person to assist you with requesting Tuition Assistance (TA) or Credentialing Assistance (CA). Upon arrival at the AEC, proceed to the front desk and sign-in on the computer through the Customer Management Tool (CMT) website or talk to the Administrative staff at the front desk. Please wait in the designated waiting area until you are seen by a Guidance Counselor. If your Education Center is not open, you can contact them online through contact information listed on your installation’s web site.

For USAR Soldiers serving in a drilling and AGR status: Your assigned Education Services Specialist (ESS) is the primary source for information and assistance pertaining to Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and Credentialing Assistance (CA). Your assigned ESS can provide information on ArmyIgnitED, FTA/CA policy, the Blanket ETP, and escalate issues if they are unable to resolve. To reach your assigned ESS, contact your servicing education center or visit Ignited.

For ARNG Soldiers serving in a drilling status: Your assigned Education Services Specialist (ESS) or Education Services Officer (ESO) are the primary source for information and assistance pertaining to Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and Credentialing Assistance (CA). Your assigned ESS/ESO can provide information on ArmyIgnitED, FTA/CA policy, the blanket ETP, and escalate issues if they are unable to resolve. To reach your assigned ESS/ESO, contact your State Education Office or go to: Army Ignited,, or your state website.